Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Revolutionary War Hero and a Cherokee Great-Grandmother

Lawrence Connor, my sixth great-grandfather, (on my mom’s side) proved himself the definition of an American patriot.

Born in Dublin, Ireland in 1752, Lawrence arrived in the American Colony of Virginia in 1773 as an indentured servant to Cyrus Cooper of Alexandria, Virginia for a term of four years. In the mid-1770s, Shawnee Indians were attacking American settlers as they encroached on land in West Virginia and Kentucky along the Ohio River, because while the Shawnee Indians still claimed ownership of this land, the Iroquois had ceded it in the 1768 Treaty of Fort Stanwix. Lawrence, perhaps in exchange for his indentured servitude, went on a nearly two-year expedition against the Shawnee Indians, and before that was complete had signed up to join the 12th Virginia Regiment (Later the 8th Virginia Regiment.) in the Revolutionary War. Lawrence fought in the battles at Germantown, Monmouth, Gilford Court House, Camden, and Stony Point. In the battle at Camden he wounded his arm or shoulder to the extent that it later impacted his ability to work and he received a pension from 1789 until he died in 1826. Lawrence served in the Revolution for three years, often returning to battle after overcoming illnesses and injuries. Even though Lawrence Connor was a new arrival in the American Colonies, he gave everything he had, including his arm and his ability to make his own living, for his new country. Thankfully his new, young, country appreciated it enough to provide a pension.

Lawrence Connor married Margaret Blane in 1783, and they had 11 children- Alexander, (whom I descend from) Mary, Elizabeth, Esther, Joseph, James, Sallie, Nancy, Cornelius, Alice, and Margaret. The story is that Margaret Blane was Cherokee Indian. So, lets discuss the possibility of that. To begin with, claims of Indian ancestry that prove untrue are quite common. Margaret’s grandson James Connor claimed that his grandmother was Cherokee Indian when he applied for benefits in his Tennessee Indian Miller Roll Application #39004. Was James trying to get something that didn’t rightfully belong to him, or was he the only member of the family willing to claim his Indian descent? Some sources claim that Margaret Blane was an Indian orphan taken in by Anglos. Some assert that she might have ‘only’ been half Native American. The fact that Lawrence was a newly arrived immigrant, from Ireland, involved in Indian expeditions, does make the possibility of Margaret Blane being of Indian descent more likely. Among people that research this, there seems to be a general sentiment that Margaret Blane is at least half Native American and hopefully it can be proven at some point.

Some Connor ancestors have utilized DNA testing to try and solve this mystery, but ideally we need someone who descends from the maternal side and carries her mitochondrial DNA (unless it turns out that her mother was European and her father was Native American, then that won’t work either.) Many Connors on the paternal side have also applied the use of DNA to learn more about the family ancestry and it has been determined that the DNA for three sons of Lawrence and Margaret- Alexander, Cornelius and Joseph, matches.  
  

My Branch of the Tree:

Lawrence Connor m. Margaret Blane

Alexander Connor m. Elizabeth Jackman

Thomas G. Connor m. Martha Whitworth

Margaret Connor m. Hugh Portwood

Arma Laura Portwood m. William David Erwin

Arma Mae Erwin m Joseph Rhoads

Grandma Rhoads m. Grandpa Maddox

Maddox m. Chapin

Me     

30 comments:

  1. I descend from her through my direct maternal line and I'm haplotype V so she couldn't have been more than 50% Native American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I am a researcher and descendant of Lawrence and Margaret Conner. I am very interested in speaking with you, as you state you are descended from Margaret through your direct maternal line. Should you respond to this comment, I will post my contact information.

      Delete
    2. I descend from Margaret Blane through my direct maternal line. Her daughter, Nancy Conner Taylor, is my 5th great grandmother.

      Delete
    3. Hi, cousins!! I'm Ida Lorraine "Lori" Tallent, also descended from (William) Lawrence Conner & Margaret Blane Conner. My father was Carvin S. Tallent, his mom was Ida Lily Conner. Her father was Zachariah Taylor Conner, & his father was Cornelius Maguire Conner, son of Lawrence & Margaret Conner. Its exciting to read the info you've shared here, and to know Lawrence & Margaret still live within each of us. My sister, our previously unknown half-brother & I all have our dna profile on 23andMe, if any of you are interested in looking. We found our brother via 23andMe in 12/2021. Sadly, he had a twin brother who died 9 years ago. Our father never knew of their existence. I am 1 of 4 girls, & though Dad loved us, he so wanted a son & never knew he had 2. If any of you wish to communicate, please feel free to do so at my gmail (coffeegrinder14@gmail.com) or via Facebook. You'll find me under Lori Tallent of Pall Mall, TN. I live just 15 minutes from Albany, KY, very near Lawrence & Margaret's old home place on Indian Creek. Lawrence was given the land by the US Government for his service in the Revolutionary War. It was located on the "middle fork of Indian Creek" in Cumberland County Kentucky. Cumberland County was split up, leaving the residence in Clinton County. Thank you Amber for creating this avenue for our communication.

      Delete
    4. Lori,Im Donna K. Lanford, Duke, Ok My grandmother was Susan Elvira Poston Lanford.
      She was of Cherokee Indian descent. She was born in Neosho, Misouri. This is the route of the Trail of Tears. I traced back on Ans to Lawrence Conner and Margaret Blane.
      I would so like to find my Grandmother's heritage.
      I'm on Facebook as Donna K. Lanford, Duke, Ok

      Delete
  2. I'm a descendant through their son, Joseph.
    Do you have any additional information on Lawrence's parent in Ireland? I've only been able to find their names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an avid Conner researcher and we have cousins that are too. No one, that I know of, knows his parent's names.

      Delete
    2. The records I have show that Lawrence's father was Luther Conner (1720-1790), whose father was also named Luther (1690-????). Eva Burchett Conner may have been Lawrence's wife, or she may have been his mother.

      Delete
    3. That is indeed the names of the authors of a book about Lawrence Conner, and not his parents names. If you have entered that info into any of the free family tree generators, such as Family Search, please correct that info. Inaccurate data seriously messes up every other cousins tree, as well as your own. Thanks

      Delete
  3. What are his parents names? I haven't even found that. I decend from him also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a decendent of Lawrence Conner. My paternal grandmother was Susan Elvira Poston Lanford. Her mother,my great grandmother's madien name was Conner. When I have looked for the Cherokee Indian Hertiage it stops with the Conner name. Susan would not let her brothers get on the Cherokee Indian Rolls in Oklahoma. This article seems to prove where the Indian Hertiage comes from.
    Donna K. Lanford

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a decendent of Lawrence Conner. My paternal grandmother was Susan Elvira Poston Lanford. Her mother,my great grandmother's madien name was Conner. When I have looked for the Cherokee Indian Hertiage it stops with the Conner name. Susan would not let her brothers get on the Cherokee Indian Rolls in Oklahoma. This article seems to prove where the Indian Hertiage comes from.
    Donna K. Lanford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna Monroe I am also a descendent of Lawrence Conner. My name is Donald Conner. If you don't mind my asking I would like to know more about the Indian heritage. If you wouldn't mind talking about it I can be reached via Email at dconner@chhllc.net. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

      Delete
    2. Donald, I apologize for not responding. I just recently looked here again. My email is donnakaylanford@gmail.com
      Please contact me there. I will be happy to share with you what I know.
      Donna

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lawrence's parents were possibly Luther C Conner Jr (1720-1790) and Eva Myrtle B Conner, Dublin Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those names on a tree on Ancestry and those names are incorrect. Luther and Eva are not, without a doubt, his parents. Luther and Eva are researchers and publishers of a Conner book.

      Delete
    2. ELI YOU ARE CORRECT. Luther Cooner is about a 5th or 6th generation descedaant of Lawrence Conner and Margaret Blain. He is alive today 2021. Eva was his Aunt. The did publish a book on some of the descendants of Lawrence Conner, but that book did not cover the children who moved to Ovetton County TN>

      Delete
  8. Do you have a middle initial for Lawrence's Joseph? We have tracked our GGG grandfather to Cumberland KY but no further yet. His name was Joseph H. Conner. We don't know what the "H" is for.
    Thank You
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph B Conner was the name of one of the sons of Lawrence Conner and Margaret Bline. He died in Overton County in the 1854-1859 time frame....Harold

      Delete
    2. Joseph BLANE Conner...as in his mother's maiden name, which was common in those days.

      Delete
  9. I believe I am a descendant of Margaret Blane I am waiting for my dna kit to arrive now any help to learn my family history is appreciated she is believed to be my 6th great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Krystalynne lagrow is my name you may contact me at krystalynnelagrow@gmail.com or (989)339-1228. Forgot in above mentioned Margaret Blane post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krystalynne, did the dna kit result in any information that helped in your search? My # is 580-679-4519 and email donnakaylanford@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this information. I am a direct descendant of Lawrence Conner. My grandfather was Malton Carlos Connet and his Father was Spencer Wellington Conner of Overton County Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I descend from Margaret Blane through my direct maternal line. Her daughter, Nancy Conner Taylor, is my 5th great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The issue with the DNA test is that many tribal members haven't and wont give DNA to compare. There is not many samples for them to find it in lost tribal members.

    She was my 4th great grandmother sadly my line was all females up UNTIL my grandfather. So, I can't be of any help with the Haplogroup.

    I hope you are all blessed and find the answers some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BtW If you need help with any family heritage things please title an email as "From Family" to evekuha@yahoo.com

      Delete
  15. Hello, another Amber here. I am a decendant of Margaret Blane's daughter Nancy Conner. My maternal grandmother is the direct line. I would love to participate in any research being done.

    ReplyDelete