Monday, June 11, 2012

Family Search

Almost certainly I’ll tell you too often that some source or another is “one of my favorite sources.” But it’s true. I have lots of favorite sources for history research and for ancestry research. Today, one of my favorite sources is Family Search. Managed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it’s free to utilize their online resources, or if you are feeling really ambitious, you can visit one of their local FamilySearch Centers. (Make sure to find out their hours and rules before you visit.) 



Family Search is great for numerous reasons. Census records, even mid-decade (1885, 1895) state census records are often available. Marriage records, death records and family trees that people contribute may also be referenced. But, I am excited about a new feature- My Source Box, which enables you to save the records you find in two clicks. You must have an account with Family Search, but that is free and easy to do. Once you are signed in and locate records relevant to your family, you simply place the mouse arrow over ‘My Source Box,’ click ‘Add to my source box’ and click okay. Now you don’t have to look up the same records repeatedly and it’s easy to reference if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment