Saturday, June 2, 2012

Record Recap

I’m an historian, in my heart and my educational training, so it’s incredibly tempting to include footnotes for everything, however; I have tried that with previous blogs and it does not look good. Still, I do want you to know where I get my information and to be able to look at the sources for yourself. At the end of most articles there will be suggested or further reading which includes at least some, if not all of the sources I used in that particular post. Besides that, there will be an occasional Record Recap in which some of the better sources will be highlighted. 

Genealogy of the Denny family in England and America,
Descendants of John Denny of Combs, Suffolk, England, 1439.
C.C. Denny, compiled and published, Leicester, Massachusetts, 1886.
Click here to read this book

C.C. Denny was Christopher Columbus Denny, and my 5th great-granduncle.  His brother Samuel Addison Denny, collected family documents and information for many years and fortunately when he passed, C.C. Denny took over and completed the arduous task of creating a book. This fantastic resource includes some pictures, wills, letters, and genealogy information. The letters written by Grace Cooke Denny living in Combs, Suffolk, England to her son Daniel Denny who immigrated to Leicester, Massachusetts are my favorite aspect of the book. Not only do the letters illustrate an impressive level of education and literacy for a woman of the time, but they shed considerable light on the family in England and America. 
 

My branch of the Denny family
Edmund Denny and Agnes Castard
Edmund Denny and Susan Sayer
Thomas Denny and Grace Cooke
Daniel Denny and Rebecca Jones
Samuel Denny and Elizabeth Henshaw
Joseph Denny and Phebe Henshaw
Lucinda Henshaw Denny and Lucius Botsford

Lucinda Henshaw Denny was my 5th great-grandmother, and the sister of C.C. and Samuel Denny. Daniel Denny, our immigrant ancestor was my 8th great-grandfather and the great-grandfather of Lucinda, C.C., Samuel and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment