Monday, June 25, 2012

Presidential Cousins: Jefferson and Monroe

One of my favorite aspects of ancestry research is discovering relatives who were historically significant, even in small ways- such as being a pioneer, living on the frontier, employed as the first postman, judge or a successful Indian interpreter. 

Two fairly distant ancestors proved somewhat more historically significant than others, as they were our second and fifth U.S. Presidents, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe. Thomas Jefferson is my half third cousin eight times removed, while James Monroe is my second cousin eight times removed. Born in Kent, England, Katherine Banks was Thomas Jefferson’s second great-grandmother and my tenth great-grandmother. Katherine married three times and I descend from her first marriage to Joseph Royall, while Thomas Jefferson descends from her second marriage to Henry Isham. James Monroe’s great-grandparents, William Monroe and Mary Bowcock are also my ninth great-grandparents. Andrew Monroe, William Monroe’s father and our immigrant ancestor came from Scotland.        

Henry Isham m. Katherine Banks                Katherine Banks m. Joseph Royall

Mary Isham m. William Randolph                 Katherine Royall m. Richard Perrine

Isham Randolph m. Jane Rogers                   Sarah Perrine m. William Cocke

Jane Randolph m. Peter Jefferson                 Temperance Cocke m. Abraham Bailey

2nd U.S. President Thomas Jefferson         Roger Cocke Bailey m. Mary Renard

                                                                            Mary Bailey m. Stephen Winfree
                                                                               
                                                                            Mary Frances Winfree m. John Bennett Willis
                                                                                              
                                                                            Catherine Willis m. William Maddox

                                                                            Francis “Frank” Maddox m. Mary Jane Devenny

                                                                            Charles Henry Maddox Sr. m. Lydia Janke

                                                                            Charles Henry Maddox Jr. m. Grandma Rhoads

                                                                             Mom Maddox
                                                                  
                                                                             Me

                      
Andrew Monroe m. Elizabeth Alexander
                        James Monroe’s 2nd and my 10th great-grandparents

                        William Monroe m. Mary Bowcock
                        James Monroe’s great-grandparents and my 9th great-grandparents


Andrew Monroe m. Christine Tyler                  William Monroe m. Rachel Piper

Andrew Spence Monroe m. Elizabeth Jones  Alexander Monroe m. Margaret Lang

5th U.S. President James Monroe                    Judith Monroe m. William Jackman
                                               
                                                                                Elizabeth Jackman m. Alexander Connor

                                                                                Thomas G. Connor m. Martha Whitworth

                                                                                Margaret Connor m. Hugh Portwood

                                                                                Arma Laura Portwood m. William David Erwin

                                                                                Arma Mae Erwin m. Joseph Rhoads

                                                                                Grandma Rhoads m. Charles Henry Maddox Jr.
                                                                               
                                                                                Mom Maddox

                                                                                Me

1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Lnnie O'Bannan, I do not know how to start. I hope that your name is Amber. I how live in otis Orchards Wa. I liove in Missoula Mt. most of my life. To get what I would like to talk to you about. My motyher was Joanne Rhoads O'Bannan 3 Nov 1931 Warder Id 2005 Missoula mt. (Dan). I do not knoe if you are one of aunt Barbara Roads girls or not. my grandfather was Joseph E Rhoads 20 May 1911 in Wa, 15 Apr 1989 Osbun Id. My grandmother was Armaa Mae Erwin 13 may 1915,to 21 Jun I do not think is is right 1931 Id seeing that mom was born in 31 and aunt Barbara was born in 1933. On with it. Arma Laura Portwood (m) William David Erwin ther a Rhoads, she died in Missoula mt in 1970. I was there. Hugh Portwood (m) a Margaret Connor. So some how we are family. I did my dna with ftdna kit # 362630. If it is ok with you I would love to talk. My phone # is 509-844-6525 my e-mail is lonnieobannan@yahoo.com Would love to hear from you Tahnks for you time Lonnie

    ReplyDelete